Army Veteran, Immersion Program Instructor
Rick grew up in Massachusetts and always felt safe and at peace in the woods where he spent much of his time. He was always intrigued with the White Mountains and hoped to someday work in this beautiful area of New Hampshire. Rick knew from an early age that he wanted to join the U.S. Army and after graduation from high school, enlisted to become a Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) with the Army’s 75th Ranger Regiment.
Rick spent the next 30 years serving in the military and other government services earning a Bronze Star and the Combat Medics Badge during combat operations. His numerous deployments ranged from the mountains of Afghanistan to the deserts of Iraq and the jungles of Panama, Ecuador, and Haiti.
After his government service, Rick spent the next few years attending various schools so that he could enhance his outdoor skills. From his roots as a Ranger and a passion for the outdoors, he founded The Scroll LLC. or Skills for Critical Readiness in the Outdoors and Life-sustaining Lessons. Through his company, he acts as an outdoor guide and instructor at several venues in New England where he shares his knowledge and experience in wilderness medicine, survival, and other outdoor skills for readiness and existence in austere environments.
• Residential instructor for the JMBS Engagé – Expedition Canoe Skills Certification and Lead Medical Instructor.
• Member of the 2003 Review Committee for the U.S. Army, 75th Ranger Regiment Trauma Management Team (Tactical) Ranger Medic Handbook
• Owner and lead instructor of The SCROLL LLC.
Expedition Leader And Guide
Rick is a Registered Maine Guide licensed by the state in the Recreation category. He has guided extended canoeing, backpacking and snowshoeing trips in the New England area in a variety of areas including the Allagash Wilderness Waterway, Penobscot River Paddling Trail, and White Mountains, as well as numerous other locations off the beaten path. He has also guided numerous overnight trips focusing on preparedness and wilderness medicine.
Jack Mountain Bushcraft School Certifications
NH Outdoor Learning Center
• Wilderness Survival Specialist Certification
U.S. Army Ranger Course
USASOC SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape) High-Risk Course Level C
Medical Background And Training
• Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) Course – Distinguished Honor Graduate
• NREMT Paramedic Course
• Wilderness EMT
• Wilderness Medicine and CPR Instructor Certification (SOLO)
• Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) Instructor Course
• Total Army Instructor Training Course
• U.S. Army Special Forces Dive Medical Technician Course
American Public University
• BA, Homeland Security